Whats the Benefits of Vitamin K? Find out..
We all know about vitamins A, B, C, D and even E, but what about vitamin K? This is probably one of the less familiar vitamins. So, many people don’t know the benefits it has, or how to get it. We also don’t know what to eat, so that we can consume it, and what amount it enough for our body.
First and foremost, vitamin K appears in nature in two forms: K1 (philocinon) and K2 (menacinon). Green vegetables mostly contain K1, while fermented food contains K2. Furthermore, our bowels and some bacteria create K2.
What do you gain from consuming vitamin K?
- Vitamin K synthesizes proteins which are of utmost importance for coagulation (creation of lumps) in the blood. It also stops bleeding. The lack of vitamin K can cause an increase in the appearance of bruises and bleeding.
- This vitamin cooperates with vitamin D in order to bring calcium to the bones. It also helps calcium connect to the bones and make them stronger. The low levels of vitamin K can lead to a bigger risk of fractures.
- Other benefits of vitamin K, which are not still scientifically proven, include a protection from artery calcification. It also prevents calcification in the blood vessels and lower the risks of Alzheimer’s, as well as prostate cancer.
Which are the main sources of vitamin K?
The dose medics recommend of this vitamin depends on the age, gender and weight. However, the dose medics recommend for adults is 0, 0001 milligrams of vitamin K for every pound you weight. In addition we give you the main sources of this vitamin:
- Vegetative plants such as: basil, wild thyme, parsley, coriander, marjoram and garlic.
- Green vegetables, such as spinach and lettuce.
- Vegetables such as onions, red cabbage and celery.
- Vegetables from the family „Brassica oleracea“such as broccoli, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, kale and cauliflower.
- Hot spices such as red hot pepper, red pepper, chili and curry.
- Other sources are: asparagus, fennel, leek, sour pickles, soy, olive oil and dry fruits.
Consult a doctor before you decide to consume additives of vitamin K. Do this because if you over consume vitamin K, it can cause negative consequences and stop the reaction of some medicine. The best way to achieve the right amount of vitamin K in your body is by having a healthy and balanced diet.